As the holiday season rapidly approaches, those of us who are co-parents may find ourselves in a situation where there is altered access and a need to communicate more than normal with our ex.
Here are a few tips for keeping you safe:
- disengage whenever possible – don’t get sucked into an argument or conversation
- communicate only about children in written form using OFW or separate email exclusively for coparenting with ex
- keep emails brief, informative, neutral and firm
- let all phone calls go to voicemail and be prepared to get some great messages to use as evidence
- write assuming a judge may read your correspondence
- if your kids are old enough and have a mobile phone communicate with them when possible about drop offs and pick ups
Have a happy and safe holiday season and try to enjoy every moment with your kids.